Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mildly Hot Cheese Ramen

Instant noodles and pancit canton has became a staple food for most Filipinos especially to the low income. This is mainly because it costs you less than 10 pesos to buy a pack, and some families of 3 would actually share a pack of noodles with some rice on it as their meal. Instant noodles are tasty, no wonder it is a popular meal or snack, this is the same reason why I love instant noodles. A pack of Lucky Me or Maggi Instant noodles and Skyflakes cracker is one my best meriendas.

Prior to all these variants available in the current market, my favorite is Nissin's ramen. The sesame oil in each pack makes it more irresistible, though i think now, the locally produced pack of Nissin's ramen no longer have sesame oil. For quite some time, my benchmark for a good instant noodles would be Nissin's. But now, there are so many brands and variants to choose from. A lot of Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian and Korean instant noodles are available insSupermarkets and so my favorites expanded as well. Though these foreign made noodles are 3 to 5 folds pricey than the Filipino brands they normally have distinct taste or spices that you will surely get hooked on to.

With my addiction to Korean stuff I discovered cheese ramyeon (ramen or instant noodles is called ramyeon in Korean). I saw this noodle advertisement in Korea when i went there for a visit some time in 2010. It is supposedly noodles targeted for the kids.

The company is called Ottogi and they have some of their noodle brands available in SM supermarkets except for this one. The characters 치즈 라면 stand for cheese ramyeon.

Surprisingly, this kid's noodles is actually spicy. Something that a Filipino kid would probably not dare eat but I am super loving it. Last December, we went for a short vacation in Seoul and I stuffed our baggage with 3 packs of 4 of it. The cheese flavor alone I think would be a hit for the kids but for the grown ups the spiciness is just so right. It goes well with soda crackers. I prefer the peppered or seaweed flavored biscuit with it.

There are a lot of Korean noodles in supermarket right now but I have not seen this flavor yet. I hope these Korean stores will soon make it available before my frugally consumed cheese noodles runs out of stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment