Saturday, September 1, 2012

Remembering Lola

Few weeks ago, one of my officemate was complaining about how expensive this 'suman' (rice cake) that they bought from Tagaytay.  Apparently, it was a suman sa lihia (lye flavored rice cake).   I told her it's easy to make.   Whenever I see this suman,  I can almost always associate it with my Lola Kikay. I used to help her prepare and cook which is actually her specialty.

This suman requires few ingredients:


  • 1 kilo malagkit (glutinous rice)
  • 1 tsp lihia (clear lye food flavoring)
  • banana leaves
  • grated coconut and white sugar
If you prefer the latik you need:
  • 2 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 cup brown sugar
In a big bowl mix lihia with malagkit continuously until the mixture appear yellowish in color.  Set aside.  Cut banana leaves into squares. Prepare another set of banana leaves cutting the squares in half, this will serve as lining.  The leaves has to be heated to make it soft so it would not crack when you wrap the suman.

Take one square banana leaf and put the half leaf on top to serve as lining.  My lola used to wrap this suman by laying the banana leaf down like a diamond while the half leaf is placed on top horizontally. Place 3 to 4 tablespoon of malagkit.  Wrap it by joining the north and south ends together folding it gently but firmly.  Fold left and right side to make a rectangle.  This has to be wrapped firmly.  Put two pieces together the folded sides face to face, then using a straw tie the suman together about 2 cm from edge.  It should look like this:


Place the suman in a big pan filled with water covering to ones on top.  Cover the pan and bring to boil for about 3 hours.   Prepare the latik by mixing the coconut milk and brown sugar. Bring to boil while constant stirring in low fire until it thickens.  This suman can be served with latik on top but my Dad like the grated coconut too while my sister prefers just the grated coconut with sugar. 


My Dad said it tasted like what my Lola Kikay used to cook.  It made me smile, I successfully recreated my lola's specialty and no less than her youngest son (my dad) said it was like eating what lola's suman sa lihia.

A lot of the recipe calls for the malagkit to be washed but i remember my lola using the malagkit dry and stirring the lihia in continuously until each grain is covered.  I missed my Lola while doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment