Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lifestyle Change: Cooking the Cohen Way

One of the common advices of doctors for diabetic and obese patients is to do a lifestyle change.  I remember when my dad was diagnosed of diabetes, he was advised to change lifestyle which includes abstaining from sugar and choosing the right carbohydrates.  To me, during that time, it is just a diet but now I realized that lifestyle change goes beyond 'diet'.  Its about choices in our daily routine, exactly what Cohenites (referred to people under the Cohen program) are being taught to practice.

Other than the allowed food, the manner of cooking food the Cohen way is a big lifestyle change.  I never got to eat deep fried food since day 1.  Food is either broiled, boiled, grilled or pan fried.  As we are allowed to use herbs and some spices at a very limited amount, i cooked with less salt and pepper. This get me to appreciate the natural taste and flavor of ingredients. 

This is one of my very first Cohen compliant meal -- beef tenderloin in bell pepper and cauliflower. 



I used beef tenderloin in sukiyaki cut for this meal sautéed in garlic and onion.  I had to use extra virgin olive oil spray as use of oil is limited in the plan.  As soon as the meat is browned, small amount of water is poured to deglaze the pan.  Cauliflower is added then bell pepper.  Finally, I seasoned it with little salt and pepper.  

Setting aside the program, this meal is one of the most bland meal i every had.  It was hard to finish the food if you are used to sauces, oils, spices and tasty meals.  But I came up with several reasons to finish my food:
  1. This is a cure to my obesity
  2. There are people who cannot even get to taste tenderloin beef or meat in general
  3. At least I get to eat so i never get hungry
  4. I paid Php60,000 for this program and I will not waste time by not following it
You will never cook the same way before. Suddenly, I had the appreciation for the strong taste of bell pepper, how I can balsamic vinegar became a staple in my cooking and how each spice can help me create a new meal out of the same ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment